Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Holy Grail of Mac & Cheese


I saw this recipe in a magazine and thougt it looked delicious, so I made it. Oh my, it is freakin delicious. I was telling a friend about this recipe and when we couldn't fine the magazine, I thought I'd post it on my blog.


1 box (pound) macaroni (I used penne)

6 slices bacon (I use more)

1 TBSP unsalted butter

2 TBSP flour

2 cups 2% milk

1/2 tsp onion flakes

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1 cup (4oz) colby-jack cheese, shredded

1 cup (4oz) mozzarella cheese, shredded

8 slices KRAFT deli deluxe american cheese


1. Heat oven to 350, coat a 3 quart broiler safe pan with cooking spray.

bring a large pot of water to boil.


2. cook bacon in sauce pan until crisp. Place bacon on paper towels, carefully drain grease,

return 2 TBSP bacon grease to pan, add butter. Meanwhile cook noodles in boiling water 8 min, drain and return to pot.


3. Wisk flour into butter/drippings, until smooth. In a thin stream wisk in milk, add onion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over med-high heat, then reduce and simmer 2 min. In a large bowl, mix colby-jack, ceddar, and mozzarella together.


4. Remove milk mixture from heat, wisk in american cheese and 1 1/4 cup of the the shredded cheese mix, toss bacon pieces with remaining shredded cheese.


5. In pasta pot, combine cooked pasta with cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish, sprinkle with half of cheese-bacon mix, repeat layers.


6. Bake 350 for 20 min, increase oven temp to broil and broil 3 min until top is lightly browned.


Make the whole recipe because the leftovers are just as good as the original meal. If you are wondering what to serve as a side dish, my suggestion is a bottle of LIPITOR.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my yummy goodness! I am totally going to try this! I like you side suggestion of Lipitor. Definitely going to need that!

    ReplyDelete